Induction cooktops have replaced the standard gas stove in most households since their introduction to the market. In this post, Handyman Connection of Lincoln discusses how induction stoves work and why they’re better than electric ranges.
How Do Induction Stoves Work
The process of induction uses electromagnetic energy to directly heat your pots and pans. This is in contrast with gas and electric cooktops, which heat indirectly using a burner or heating element. Induction cooktops don’t use burners. Instead, they use a series of magnets that excite the iron atoms in your pan to generate heat.
Since this cooktop heats directly, it’s more energy-efficient. For comparison, the standard gas stove uses only 40 percent of the heat it generates in cooking. The remaining 60% just escapes into the air, which in turn causes your kitchen to get hotter. Electric stoves are a bit better, although they still waste around 10 percent of the heat they generate.
The biggest draw to induction stoves and cooktops is they’re safer to operate. In fact, the surface of the cooktop doesn’t get hot; you can actually touch it without burning your finger, unlike gas and electric stoves. This also makes it easier to clean.
Since induction stoves heat food directly, cooking is faster. For comparison, the standard 12,000-BTU gas burner will take roughly 36 minutes to boil 5 gallons of water. For the standard 1,800-watt (3.4 BTU) induction hob, it only takes 22 minutes to boil the same amount.
Our experienced crew at Handyman Connection of Lincoln is ready to help you install your new induction cooktop. Call us today at (402) 205-2575 or fill out our form to learn more about our kitchen remodeling services.